- Job description for strategic planning director
Job description for strategic planning director07-Apr-2014
How to negotiate the role that will make you successful within your own organization.
The role that the head of strategic planning plays is the result of a negotiation between the strategist and his stakeholders.
People often get frustrated because no one can tell them exactly what the role of the strategic planning department should be. They also struggle to find a precise job description for a director of strategic planning.
This is because the role that a strategic planner plays within any organization, differs from person to person, and from organization to organization. The role you choose to play as a director of strategic planning is the result of a negotiation between you, your boss and the stakeholders of your strategy department.
You will be most successful if you create a role for yourself as director of strategic planning, and for your strategic planning department or unit, by following these simple steps.
- Consider all the possible roles, or jobs that strategic planners in general play.
- Consider the role that your stakeholders want you to play as director of strategic planning.
- Understand what energizes you out of all the possible roles you could play, and roles your stakeholder wish you to play.
- Integrate these into a formal job description for you, the director of strategic planning at your specific organization.
We have developed a step by step guide to help you to negotiate the role that will make you successful as a director of strategic planning within your own organization. This includes:
- The many roles played by strategic planners
- A set of interview questions you can use to interview and educate your stakeholders.
- A questionnaire to help you to identify the director of strategic planning roles that would excite and energize you the most.
- A guide on how to analyze the information you have collected.
- A template for creating your own job description as director of strategic planning.
You will need to be logged in as a member to view this tool. If you are already a member, go to:
Get the book on how to formulate strategy. "Strategy for CEO’s. A step by step guide."
One of the most important roles of a strategist involves formulating or reviewing strategy. This practical book for CEO’s and strategists, will lead you step by step through all the tasks you need to do, in order to develop a powerful strategic plan or common vision for your organization. A strategy that you will be proud to present to your board of directors or parent company, and has the support of your management team and important stakeholders. A corporate plan you can use to guide your organization into the future.
Contents of the CEO Strategy - a step by step guide
When to do strategy.
The step by step guide to strategy.
1. Plan your strategy workshop
- Identify strategic issues.
- Clarify workshop objectives.
- Identify workshop challenges.
- Plan the workshop content.
- Plan the workshop process.
- Plan the time.
- Select the delegates.
2. Prepare for your workshop
- Collect strategic information.
- Prepare workshop materials.
- Organize workshop logistics.
- Manage delegate expectations.
3. Run your strategy workshop
- The CEO's role during a strategy workshop.
- The facilitator's role during a strategy workshop.
4. After the workshop.
- Write your strategic plan.
- Evaluate your strategy.
- Plan to implement your strategy.
Strategy for CEOs: A step by step guide is available from Amazon.
If you are weary of strategy retreats that go nowhere and achieve nothing, and want to develop a powerful strategy for your organization, then this book is for you.
Click on the link above to go to the article, event, blog post or product mentioned in the announcement.
Choose your membership plan now.